The 77-year-old woman collapsed while on the phone to police to report the theft at her Barnet home yesterday.
Emergency rushed to the property to find the woman in a critical condition, taking her to hospital.
But tragically, she died this morning.
Police are now hunting two suspects in relation to the theft – and are probing whether it is linked to three other break ins in the area.
Neighbour Melvyn Eyres, 67, told the Evening Standard his home was also broken into yesterday/
He said: "They’d smashed the door and got in up on our balcony and ransacked the place. They didn’t steal too much, there wasn’t much to steal.
“Then they went across the road to where Maureen lives. I don’t quite know what happened.
“She was quite elderly and had lots of breathing problems. An ambulance came and they were doing CPR on her and then they took her away.
“I didn’t know her very well, but I have lived here all my life and I remember her from when I was a little boy. It’s the shock of it really. My wife isn’t in a good way.”
DCI Noel McHugh, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Our focus now is catching the culprits behind this burglary which has contributed to the death of an elderly woman.
“We are doing everything we can to build a clear picture of this incident.
"This includes looking at three other break ins that have been reported in the nearby area. Work is ongoing to establish if they are linked. Three of the four properties targeted were empty when the burglaries took place.
“Both suspects involved are described as white males aged in their twenties and of thin build. They wore dark wooly hats and dark clothing.
“Any burglary is an awful and harrowing experience which can leave many feeling uncomfortable in their own homes.
ELDERLY UNDER ATTACK: Police continue investigation into OAP death after burglary
POLICE are continuing to investigate the tragic death of an elderly man who died after being battered by thieves at his home.
Peter Gouldstone, 98, suffered fatal injuries after being dragged from his home of more than 60 years in Arnos Grove, North London.
Burglars ransacked his home but escaped with just a few personal possessions and a black Panasonic TV.
The dad of two was found the next morning by his son Simon, 67.
He and sister Jane, 60, kept a vigil by his hospital bedside before Peter died on Friday.
The attack caused outrage and prompted The Sun to set up a JustGiving appeal.
So far, no arrests have been made.
"This burglary has ended with the worst possible consequences. A wonderful elderly lady has died. With that in mind, I want to reach out and make a direct appeal to anyone from the criminal fraternity who has information to contact us.
“You will know and discussions will be going on about who is involved and where any stolen property is, I need you to have the confidence to call police and let us know who is responsible.
"The public will see a significant police presence in the area. This will include house to house enquiries, CCTV gathering and forensic work to identify the individuals involved."
Her next of kin have been informed.
A post-mortem examination will be held in due course. A crime scene is in place and enquiries are underway to establish if the burglary is linked to other similar offences in the area.
At this early stage there have been no arrests. Enquiries continue.
Source: Read Full Article