A NEW Netflix documentary will look at one of the most controversial criminal cases in Argentinian history.
The murder of sociologist Maria Marta Garcia Belsunce rocked the South American country in 2002.
- The best series on Netflix
- The best movies on Netflix
- New on Netflix: What to watch this week
Who was Maria Marta?
Maria Marta Garcia Belsunce was a sociologist and charity worker, who was murdered in 2002 at the age of 50.
She resided in gated community Carmel, located in Pilar, Buenos Aires.
She lived there with her husband Carlos Carrasosa, who she married at the age of 19.
The couple did not have any children.
What happened to Maria Marta?
On October 27, 2002 Maria Marta’s body was found in the bath by her husband Carlos, who had been watching a football match with his in-laws.
Police and Carlos originally ruled that Maria Marta death had been a freak accident, presuming she had fallen in the bath and hit her head on a tap.
With no suspicion of foul play, her family signed a pre-made death certificate to make the burial process easier – however Maria Marta’s step-brother asked for a thorough investigation.
An autopsy soon found that Maria Marta had actually been shot in the head five times, before being dumped in the bath.
Who killed Maria Marta?
Police first suspected Maria Marta’s husband Carlos.
They thought that her family had covered up the murder for him after discovering that glue had been used to hide her head wounds.
Suspicions were also raised when the victim's half brother told police that on the day of the incident, he had found a ‘pituto’ – which roughly translates to ‘thingy’ – and thrown it into the toilet without thinking anything of it, however that ‘pituto’ turned out to be a bullet.
Carlos went to trial for Maria Marta’s murder, and was acquitted in 2007.
But two years later, the Appeals Court overturned the result and found him guilty.
He spent five years in jail before the Supreme Court acquitted him in 2016 after DNA analysis found that he did not match any of the blood samples at the crime scene.
He also had an alibi at the time of Maria Marta’s death.
Maria Marta’s family believe that she was killed during a botched robbery.
Her murder is currently unsolved, with the police still on the hunt for her killer 18-years later.
What’s on Netflix, Disney+ and Amazon Prime?
Looking for a new Netflix series to binge or the best movies to watch on Amazon Prime? We have you covered…
- New on Netflix: The best series and films released every day
- The best movies on Netflix to watch right now
- The best series to watch on Netflix
- The most terrifying horrors to watch on Netflix right now
- The best documentaries to watch on Netflix right now
- The best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The best kids' shows on Netflix to watch right now
- The best true crime series to watch on Netflix
- The best movies to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The best series on Disney+
Source: Read Full Article