Russia claims it has 'killed 600 Ukrainian soldiers' in huge rocket strike in revenge for deadly attack on Putin's force | The Sun

RUSSIA claims it has killed 600 Ukrainian soldiers in a single massive rocket strike in revenge for a deadly attack on Putin's forces.

Two buildings temporarily housing 1,300 Ukrainian troops in the country's east were reportedly blasted.


Russia's defence ministry claimed the rocket attack had killed more than 600 Ukrainian soldiers.

There was no immediate comment on the claim from Ukraine.

If confirmed, it would be the single largest loss of Ukrainian troops since Russia invaded on February 24 last year. 

The mayor of Kramatorsk, the city Russia said it had targeted, said earlier on Sunday on Facebook that nobody had been killed in an attack on various buildings in the city.

More on Ukraine

Moment oil base goes up in flames after mystery gas pipe explosion in Ukraine

British officials demand Putin face ‘special tribunal’ for ‘war crimes’ in Ukraine

Russia's defence ministry said the strike was revenge for a deadly Ukrainian attack on New Year's Eve.

A spokesman said: "As a result of a massive missile strike on these temporary deployment points of Ukrainian army units, more than 600 Ukrainian servicemen were destroyed."

Hundreds of Putin's troops reportedly died in the strike on Russian barracks in the Donbas region on December 31.

Russia attempted to hide the toll of soldiers lost in the strike – but Ukraine's military puts the number of Russian deaths at 400, with 300 others wounded.

Most read in The Sun

TOUGH TIME

Ex-Bake Off host Sue Perkins reveals shock diagnosis

DIRTY HARRY

Harry branded 'disrespectful' towards women 'during ski trip with younger girl'

'STEAMING & SHOUTING'

Wills 'lunged at Harry after Philip's funeral & used secret Di code'

GIGGS SCORES

Natasha Giggs moves in with married fireman – after affair with Man U ace Ryan

Moscow did confirm a "significant loss of life", signalling a grievous blow to the already exhausted Russian troops.

It comes as Ukraine has warned Putin is preparing to mobilise another 500,000 troops this month to bolster war efforts.

Moscow is feared to be planning a new full-scale assault to crush its neighbour this spring, a year after the first disastrous invasion.

An official has claimed the new conscription wave will be larger than the last one when another 300,000 conscripts were called to fight in October.

The partial mobilisation had sparked panic across the country sending Russians frantically fleeing to the borders to escape being sent to the battlefield.

Andriy Cherniak, an official with the Main Military Intelligence Directorate of the Ukrainian Defence Ministry said that the new wave of mobilisation will begin after January 15.

He told Politico: "This time the Kremlin will mobilise residents of big cities, including the strategic industries centres all over Russia.

"This will have a very negative impact on the already suffering Russian economy."

Moscow has denied it is preparing for a fresh draft of conscripts but Cherniak claimed that Russia secretly continued the conscription of troops.  

Read More on The Sun

People are only just realising that XXL and 2XL aren’t actually the same size

Millions on Universal Credit missing out on cash worth £1,200 – how to get it

The Russian leader had previously said a new call-up would be "pointless" as only 150,000 of those drafted in October are currently fighting in Ukraine.

Source: Read Full Article