Nine dead & 10 injured as terrorists storm beach hotel with guns and bombs in 12 hour siege in Mogadishu | The Sun

TERROISTS have stormed a beach hotel in Mogadishu with guns and bombs that has left nine people dead and ten others seriously injured.

The horror siege lasted 12 hours and began on Friday night in the Somalian capital, cops said.




More than 84 people have been rescued including children, women and elders.

Local media said seven militants were involved in the ruthless assault.

Pictures showed the beachside resort turned to rubble.

As a result of the blast, the hotel windows were seen blown out and nearby vehicles crumpled as bystanders looked on in horror.

READ MORE WORLD

Four kids whose plane crashed in the jungle are found alive six weeks later

Shark was spotted stalking Red Sea coast for THREE DAYS before killing tourist

Al-Qaedas East Africa affiliate, al-Shabab, have claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Somalia-based terrorist group has previously carried out attacks on hotels and other high-profile locations in Mogadishu.

According to authorities, Somalia Security forces contained the deadly attack at about 2am today.

News agency SNTV claimed the security forces "killed" the Al-Shabaab militants that carried out "the desperate terrorist attack on the Pearl Beach".

Most read in The Sun

STRICTLY SIGNING

EastEnders star to sign up for Strictly after wowing soap's fans

BORIS RESIGNS

Boris Johnson announces he’s standing down as MP and insists 'I did NOT lie'

‘GREATLY MISSED’

Breaking Bad star Mike Batayeh dead at 52 after ‘suffering heart attack’

TOFF TO TAKE

Everton release ELEVEN players including ex-England star and notorious hardman

Witnesses told the Associated Press some people were trapped inside the Pearl Beach hotel.

The resort is reportedly popular with government officials.

Local Abdulle Ali went to the scene to look for a missing relative and witnessed the terrifying ordeal.

The man told AP he saw four bodies being put into an ambulance, who appeared to be civilians.

Another witness, Hussein Mohamed, told Reuters he was working at restaurant nearby when he heard a blast followed by gunfire.

"The whole area is cordoned off by security forces," he said.

THIS IS A DEVELOPING STORY…

The Sun is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.

Download our fantastic, new and improved free App for the best ever Sun Online experience. For iPhone click here, for Android click here. 

Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheSun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.


Source: Read Full Article