Moment Princess Anne maintains protocol with curtsey to Queen's coffin

Keeping up with tradition: Moving moment Princess Anne maintains royal protocol with a deep curtsey as the Queen’s coffin is brought to the Palace of Holyroodhouse – after escorting hearse from Balmoral to Edinburgh

  • Princess Royal, 71, was visibly emotional outside the palace in Edinburgh today
  • She curtseyed towards coffin as she lined up with Andrew, Edward and Sophie 
  • It came after she travelled in cortege as it made six-hour journey from Balmoral 
  • Sophie was seen reaching out to console Anne after coffin was brought inside
  • Full coverage: Click here to see all our coverage of the Queen’s passing

This is the poignant moment Princess Anne maintained royal protocol with a deep curtsey towards the Queen as her mother’s coffin was brought into the Palace of Holyroodhouse. 

The Princess Royal, 71, performed the moving tribute as the coffin was carried into the palace, having travelled with the cortege from Balmoral to Edinburgh today.

Anne was visibly emotional as she lined up alongside the Queen’s children and their spouses – Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Prince Andrew and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Sophie was seen reaching out to console Anne, who was at her mother’s bedside during her final hours at Balmoral on Thursday.

Being the Queen’s only daughter, the pair shared a special bond that was highlighted today as Anne made the six-hour journey from her mother’s beloved Balmoral to Edinburgh in a vehicle behind the hearse. 

The Queen’s coffin, draped in the Royal Standard for Scotland with a wreath of Balmoral flowers on top, crossed the River Forth via the Queensferry Crossing at around 4pm.

Thousands of mourners had gathered along the Royal Mile as the procession arrived, falling silent in respect as the convoy carrying Anne and her husband Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence arrived.

Princess Anne curtseys towards her mother’s coffin as it brought into Holyrood House in Edinburgh, where it will stay overnight

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, reaches out to console Anne as the coffin was brought in this afternoon

Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Sophie, Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex lined up outside the palace today

A round of applause then broke out, before the coffin received a guard of honour by the King’s Bodyguard for Scotland as it was carried out of the hearse by pallbearers and into the palace.

The Queen will stay at the palace overnight before being moved to St Giles’ Cathedral tomorrow afternoon.

Earlier today, a single motorbike police outrider led the way as the hearse travelled at a stately pace through the Aberdeenshire countryside. 

At one point, as the cortege travelled through Dundee, a lone long-stemmed flower could be seen on the hearse windscreen and in a rural part of the route farmers paid homage to the monarch with tractors lined up in a field.

Hundreds lined the main street of Ballater, the picturesque Victorian village closest to the Balmoral estate, where locals considered her a neighbour, as the Queen’s coffin was driven slowly through. Her Majesty and her family were often seen in the village in Royal Deeside, which she had visited since childhood and where the Royal Family have space to be themselves.

Princess Anne approaches the hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth as it arrives at the Palace of Holyroodhouse

Anne watches as the hearse carrying the coffin of her mother is readied to be carried into Holyrood House

The hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II arrives at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh 

Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence and Princess Anne watch on as pallbearers carry the Queen’s coffin today

The Queen’s coffin was draped with the Royal Standard of Scotland as it made the journey from Balmoral to Edinburgh

The hearse passed Glenmuick Church, where the Rev David Barr rang the church bells 70 times after the Queen’s death was announced.

Flowers were thrown into the hearse’s path by well-wishers on both sides of the road in Ballater, which was sombre and silent. The hearse slowed to a fast walking pace and mourners could clearly see the royal standard-draped coffin and the wreath featuring flowers from the Balmoral estate, including sweet peas – one of the Queen’s favourite flowers – dahlias, phlox, white heather and pine fir.

Earlier, the Queen’s oak coffin was carried to the hearse by six Balmoral estate gamekeepers tasked with the symbolic gesture. It had been at rest in the Balmoral ballroom so the monarch’s estate workers could say their goodbyes.

Tens of thousands took to the streets to witness the first stage of her final journey. 

Many had travelled through the night to secure their place along the route after Her Majesty left her beloved Balmoral for the last time. 

Later, there was a solemn mood as the coffin reached the climax of the journey to the Scottish capital of Edinburgh. 

Mourners stood six deep behind metal barriers on the narrow pavements along the historic Royal Mile which connects the palace with Edinburgh Castle. 

Some with camping chairs had waited for more than eight hours to secure their positions on a day of history. 

The coffin of Queen Elizabeth II passes St Giles’ Cathedral on its way to Palace of Holyroodhouse

The hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II, draped with the Royal Standard of Scotland, passing Edinburgh Castle 

The hearse carrying the coffin of Queen Elizabeth II, draped with the Royal Standard of Scotland, passing over the Queensferry Crossing as it continues its journey to Edinburgh from Balmoral

King Charles III during a reception with Realm High Commissioners and their spouses in the Bow Room at Buckingham Palace

The crowds built up steadily during the course of the day until there was barely an inch of space to pass on the packed walkways. 

Many in the crowd told how catching just a fleeting glimpse of the coffin containing the Queen’s body had brought the reality of her death into focus.

Meanwhile, an emotional Charles was greeted by thousands of well-wishers as he arrived at his royal Residence earlier today where he met with representatives from the Commonwealth, before it heads onto Westminster Abbey for her state funeral.

Crowds lining the length of The Mall – including excited young children sat on top of the shoulders of parents trying to take photos with their phones – cheered and waved at Britain’s new monarch as he was driven in his state Rolls-Royce from Clarence House through the Palace gates at around 1pm, accompanied by a motorcade of four cars and four police motorbikes.

The King was followed shortly after arriving at Buckingham Palace by his wife Camilla, Queen Consort, who was also cheered by mourners. 

Source: Read Full Article