Mason Greenwood has all attempted rape and assault charges DROPPED a year after the Man United star was arrested – amid questions over if he will play again for the club
- Mason Greenwood, 21, had faced three charges and had appeared in court
- Today Crown Prosecution Service dropped all of the charges against him
Man United star Mason Greenwood has been cleared of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Greenwood, 21, was charged in October 2022 but this afternoon a decision was made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.
A CPS spokesperson said: ‘We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
‘In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
‘We have explained our decision to all parties.
Greenwood was charged in October 2022 but this afternoon a decision was made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors
Forward Mason Greenwood, 21, was arrested in January and immediately suspended by Manchester United
‘We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met.’
The charges Greenwood was facing – from November 2018 to October 2021 – all related to the same woman.
In November he had appeared in Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court wearing a dark suit and a hoodie and supported by family members.
He removed the hoodie when he appeared in the dock to confirm his name and age for the brief five-minute hearing, but did not enter a plea.
A court sketch of Mason Greenwood appearing in the dock at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on October 17 with security on charges of attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault. All three charges related to the same woman and have all been dropped by the CPS today.
Greenwood, 21, arrived at court in November over the now dropped charges of attempted rape, assault and controlling and coercive behaviour
At the time Jason Pitter KC, prosecuting, had admitted the case required ‘careful consideration’ before it could proceed.
Today Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, GMP’s Head of Public Protection, said: ‘Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.
‘The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
‘Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail.
‘I would, however, like to use this opportunity to reiterate GMP’s commitment to investigating allegations of violence against women and girls and supporting those affected, regardless of their circumstances, throughout what can be a hard and upsetting time for them. An ever increasing number of officers are receiving specialist training and the force is more consistently utilising tools, available via the criminal justice system, to keep people safe and care for victims.
‘If you feel you are or might be a victim, please don’t let this case put you off asking for help.’
Source: Read Full Article