Haunting CCTV shows OAP Exeter murder victim buying paper hours before he was killed along with twin, 84, and another pensioner

Police have launched a "fast-moving" investigation into the deaths of the three pensioners – all killed in Exeter within a 24-hour period earlier this week.

CCTV obtained by Sky News showed 84-year-old Dick Carter popping into his local newsagents just 48 hours before his body was found in his home just 10 metres away.

Mr Carter would stop by the shop around 9am every morning to pick up a paper, before stopping to chat with staff.

The bodies of twins Dick and Roger Carter and Anthony Payne, 80, were found less than 24 hours apart.

The deaths have been linked due to the "level of violence used".

A 27-year-old man arrested on Tuesday evening remains in custody. Officers were today granted an extra 36 hours to quiz the suspect.

The man can be held for a total of 96 hours before he is released or charged.

Sources said the suspect was "volatile and violent".

They added: "He is not talking and is refusing to leave his cell."

Last night sources told The Sun Online an antiquated shotgun was found next to the body of Mr Payne.

But police today said the injuries sustained by the three victims were "not connected to the use of a firearm".


A heart-wrenching message was left on the doorstep of the 80-year-old victim, who was discovered at around 3pm on Monday.

The note, which had been there for a month, read: "Elderly man, 80 years of age wants accommodation for himself and his pet cat. Any replies to Bonhay Road."

Speaking about Mr Payne, one local said: "He was very quiet and kept himself to himself. The note went up a few weeks ago, I suspect the owners had asked him to leave.

"He was quiet but there would often be problems in the house. It wasn't him causing problems but people who had access to the property."

Matilda Moss, 19, an Exeter University student who lives in the next door property, said Mr Payne described himself as the lodger.

She said: "I only saw him once. It was only the fact the bins were put out that we knew someone lived there".

He is believed to have lived at the property for 20 years.

Less than 24 hours later, the bodies of the Carter twins were found in the Cowick Lane area of the city.

A witness said she saw a "scruffy-looking" man carrying a tool bag outside the twins' home hours before they were found dead at 1pm on Tuesday.

Tracey Harkness, who lives nearby, was driving to work at 9.30am that morning when she saw him.

She said he was "looking a bit funny" and later reported it to the police.

Her daughter, Lianne Hill, added: "My mum was driving past the twins' house on Tuesday morning when she saw a scruffy looking white man standing outside.


"He was scary, menacing, and had a toolbox with him. He stared at her as she drove past and she thought it was odd, then when she heard about the bodies being found she immediately called the police."

Detective Chief Inspector Roy Linden, from the major crime investigation team, said: "At this time there are several and significant common factors between the two addresses.

"In terms of the level of violence used we decided [on Tuesday night] to link the investigations.

"Originally they were treated as two separate murder investigations. One suspect has been identified and formally arrested [on Tuesday] evening."

Describing the investigation as "fast moving", he added: "There were significant levels of injuries and some commonality between the two incidents, which led us to link those investigations and treat them as one single investigation at the moment".

The Carter twins did not appear to have any connection to Mr Payne.


Superintendent Matt Lawler commented: "I know that this news will cause significant and understandable concern and is an unprecedented event in our city which has shocked us all.

"Based on our current information we have yet to establish a clear connection between the parties involved.

"While a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder we must keep an open mind and avoid speculation as we are still at the very early stages of what is already a very complex investigation."

Did you witness anything? Do you have more information? If so, please contact [email protected] or on 0207 782 4331

The twins were directors of an agricultural company called Traycrop from the early 1990s until it was dissolved in 2004. Neighbours have said they were mushroom farmers.

Jonathan Carter, their nephew, told The Daily Telegraph the family was "in total shock".

He said: "They didn't have any children, and they were quite private people really. We have absolutely no idea why someone would want to kill them."

One floral tribute left at the Cowick Lane scene said: "To Dick and Roger. Will miss your conversations and drives to Sainsbury's. RIP, Doris and Fred."

Jim Wright, owner of Broadway Stores, told Devon Live: "One of the brothers used to come in here every day and buy the paper and often jump on a bus into town.

"The other had arthritis but would walk 40 minutes to Sainsbury’s on a regular basis. They pretty much kept themselves to themselves. One was a bit more able than the other.

"This is a great community and everyone has been asking about what happened."


The twins retired several years ago and, apart from trips to the supermarket, were rarely seen together outside their large detached home, which had paper and cardboard up at some of the windows.

One couple said they'd known the twins for 50 years.

They said: "We knew each other to say hello and we think they were born there. They had a Boxer dog called Odin, after the God.

"We found out after being visited by police. We are shattered and shocked.

"They kept themselves to themselves and were quiet. We never saw them together at the same time.

"One of them used to walk to Sainsbury's every day despite having a crippled foot."

Anyone who was in the area of Bonhay road and Cowick Lane between 8am on Sunday 10 February and 1pm on Tuesday 12 February and may have seen anything relevant should contact police.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 quoting log 472 February 11.

Source: Read Full Article