Hammond to unlock £2billion in no deal funding to prepare Britain for the rejection of May’s divorce plan
- Chancellor set to open £2billion of no deal funding to bidding from ministers
- Up to £500million set to go to the Home Office to tackle issues at the border
- Customs systems are set to have £25million ploughed into extra preparations
- So far around £500million has been spent preparing no deal contingencies
Philip Hammond will unlock £2billion for no deal preparations this week as Theresa May makes little progress toward getting her deal agreed by MPs
Philip Hammond will unlock £2billion for no deal preparations this week as Theresa May makes little progress toward getting her deal agreed by MPs.
The Prime Minister will tomorrow report back to MPs on the failure of last week’s EU summit to create the necessary legal assurances to calm rebels.
On Tuesday the Cabinet is due to discuss the details of no deal preparations with less than four months until exit day.
The Chancellor will invite ministers to bid for a slice of the funding to get their departments ready for the prospect of exit without a transition period on March 29.
The Sun said around £500million is expected to be ploughed into the Home Office to deal with potential problems at the border.
Customs systems are set to benefit from another £25million in a bid to ensure the ports can function in no deal.
Activists pile more pressure on Corbyn to back a second…
Tony Blair blasts back at ‘irresponsible’ Theresa May for…
Share this article
Environment Secretary Michael Gove is set to have £400million to spend on agriculture, fisheries and food-related policy areas.
Trade Secretary Liam Fox will spend £100million hiring trade negotiators around the world in case a raft of new trade deals are needed urgently.
Ahead of Tuesday’s crunch meeting, Cabinet ministers are at war as to whether there should be another Brexit referendum – or whether the Prime Minister should be making ‘No Deal’ a top priority.
High-profile ministers including David Gauke, Amber Rudd, Greg Clarke, and Theresa May’s unofficial deputy David Lidington have all stepped up discussions on whether to offer another public vote on Brexit.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt insisted today the UK will ‘flourish and prosper’ even without a Brexit deal
Among those urging the Prime Minister to boost preparations for a no deal include Home Secretary Sajid Javid, Treasury Chief Secretary Liz Truss, Commons Leader Andrea Leadsom and International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt.
Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt insisted today the UK will ‘flourish and prosper’ even without a Brexit deal.
Mr Hunt told The Sunday Telegraph: ‘I’ve always thought that even in a no-deal situation this is a great country, we’ll find a way to flourish and prosper. We’ve faced much bigger challenges in our history.
‘But we shouldn’t pretend that there wouldn’t be disruption, there wouldn’t be risk, and there wouldn’t be impact and that’s why as a responsible Government we have to make all the preparations necessary.’
Top minister hints he could quit over no deal
The Justice Secretary warned the Prime Minister he could quit Cabinet if the Government abandons hopes of a Brexit deal.
David Gauke warned a ‘conscious’ decision to abandon talks with Brussels was the wrong call.
He is among a series of ministers bitterly opposed to the idea – despite admitting contingency plans were necessary in case of an accidental no deal.
The Cabinet will discuss no deal preparations on Tuesday.
Mr Gauke told the FT: ‘I couldn’t support a conscious decision to crash out at the end of March and I don’t think there are many who could.’
The minister said it was ‘sensible’ to draw up contingency plans in case no deal is reached, but warned ‘fantasy options’ will cause ‘real pain’ for British people.
Source: Read Full Article