Dog owners are warned NOT to feed mince pies to their four-legged friends because ingredients are toxic to them
- Dog owners being warned to keep a watchful eye over their pets this Christmas
- This month a Belgian Shepherd got food poisoning after eating the festive treat
- Dog had to spend a weekend at the centre and was fed charcoal to remove toxins
Dog owners are being warned to avoid feeding their pets mince pies this festive period.
The warning, issued by Pride Veterinary Centre in Derby, came after a facility was left treating a Belgian Shepherd for food poisoning earlier this month.
While the festive period can be a particularly exciting time for the four-legged animals, owners are being encouraged to keep a watchful eye over their pets.
Owner Pauline Warren, from Swadlincote, had to call for advice after the one-year-old Mickey ate the festive desert this month.
The one-year-old canine ate the mine pie and was later kept at the vets over the weekend
This month, owner Pauline Warren, from Swadlincote, had to call for her vet for advice after one-year-old Mickey ate the festive desert.
She told Derbyshire Live: ‘I knew mince pies, chocolate and Christmas cake are bad for dogs but I didn’t know just how bad mince pies are.’
Schoolchildren drive all night to doorstep Chris Evans…
‘Lock him up in a cramped trailer with no food or water’:…
Share this article
The dog had to spend a weekend at the centre and was fed charcoal so that his stomach would not absorb the chemicals.
Debs Smith, Senior Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon, told The Sun: ‘There is lots of advice available online about what foods your pets need to avoid this Christmas, but you can always talk to your vet too if you are unsure.
According to The Kennel Club some of the food that canine’s should refrain from eating are: Chocolate, grapes, raisins, currants, sultanas, blue cheese, alcohol, bones and macadamia nuts
‘If you think your pet has eaten something it shouldn’t, contact your vet straight away as the sooner toxins are treated, the better.’
According to The Kennel Club some of the food that canine’s should refrain from eating are: Chocolate, grapes, raisins, currants, sultanas, blue cheese, alcohol, bones and macadamia nuts.
Source: Read Full Article