Dangerous driver rams police car and leads cops on high-speed chase

‘Exceptionally dangerous’ driver jailed after ramming police car and leading cops on 130mph chase through villages before crashing into a field

  • Mikey Lee Neasham, 27, was sentenced to 17 months imprisonment for chase
  • When arrested, was found to only hold a provisional license and car uninsured 

An ‘exceptionally’ dangerous driver has been jailed after ramming a police car and leading officers on a high-speed chase through residential areas before crashing into a field.

Mikey Lee Neasham, 27, was sentenced to 17 months imprisonment for dangerous driving.

He was also banned from driving for two years and eight months and ordered to take an extended driving test.

While leading police on a dramatic chase, he drove on the wrong side of the road, took blind bends at extremely dangerous speeds and sped through villages at over 100mph.

Shocking dashcam footage also captured the moment Neasham, of Wenham Road, York, rammed a squad car to escape from a cul-de-sac.

According to York Press, the uninsured and unqualified driver Neasham lives on benefits and has health issues

Pictured, police dash cam footage captures the moment the brazen driver decided to ram his car

Neasham realised he was cornered after driving down a residential cul-de-sac and so smashed his way out

York Crown Court heard on Friday that on Monday, January 30, 2023, officers spotted Neasham driving strangely on the A1237 ring road around York.

He was indicated to stop but ignored the officers’ instruction before speeding off through the streets of Rawcliffe.

Then he turned into a residential cul-de-sac but realised he was cornered.

It was at this moment he brazenly smashed his way out with his vehicle, causing extensive damage to a squad car.

According to North Yorkshire Police, he reached speeds of up to 130mph along the A19 through Skelton, taking corners at 100mph.

When he approached the village of Shipton-by-Beningbrough, he ignored the 30mph and shot through at dangerous speeds of 90mph.

With police still in pursuit, he performed a handbrake turn in an attempt to shake them and travelled 110mph along a national speed limit road before turning right at the crossroads back in the direction of Skelton.

But, as he approached the village for a second time he lost control of his vehicle and skidded off the road before crashing into nearby fields.

As well as doing extensive damage to the police car, the driver’s actions were described as ‘exceptionally dangerous’

The reckless driver was found to only hold a provisional licence when arrested and his Astra was also uninsured.

According to York Press, Neasham lives on benefits and has health issues.

Judge Sean Morris told Neasham: ‘You are before the court for a horrendous piece of driving.

‘When a defendant puts a police car out of action, it has enormous consequences, financial for the police service and also for the safety of the public because that car is not there for the assistance of those who need it.’

Traffic Constable Jack Dodsworth, who took over the second part of the pursuit, said: ‘Neasham’s driving was exceptionally dangerous. The speeds he reached as he travelled through Skelton and Shipton-by-Beningbrough were utterly reckless and it was only through sheer luck that he didn’t cause a serious or fatal collision.

‘Also, the damage he caused to my colleague’s vehicle was extensive, meaning that a valuable policing resource that’s used to keep the public of North Yorkshire safe was off the road for some time.

‘I hope the sentence handed to Neasham today sends a clear message to those who have a cavalier attitude to road safety.

‘Myself and my Roads Policing colleagues take our responsibility of keeping the county’s roads safe incredibly seriously, and we’ll do everything we can to ensure those who gamble with the safety of other road users face the courts.’

Source: Read Full Article