British woman among Algarve holidaymakers rushed to hospital

British woman is among Algarve holidaymakers rushed to hospital struggling to breathe after a chlorine leak in a maintenance room

  • Leak is understood to have occurred near the pool at the 3HB Falesia Mar hotel
  • One-year-old child was among those affected by the leak in Albufeira, Portugal
  • Three people aged 29, 30 and 35 taken to Faro Hospital, local media reports

Three people, including a British woman, were taken to hospital after a chlorine leak at a four-star Algarve hotel.

Emergency responders treated another seven at the 3HB Falesia Mar hotel in the popular resort of Albufeira, Portugal.

A one-year-old child was among those affected by the chlorine leak – which is understood to have occurred in a maintenance room near the swimming pool.

Three people, including a British woman, were taken to hospital after a chlorine leak at the four-star 3HB Falesia Mar hotel in the popular resort of Albufeira, Portugal

A hotel receptionist confirmed an incident had taken place but said no-one was available for comment.

Hotel bosses activated an emergency response protocol after the leak.

A Portuguese TV station said the three people taken to Faro Hospital were aged 29, 30, and 35 and the two taken to the local health centre were aged 21 and 35. One of the trio taken to Faro Hospital was a British woman.

The 3HB Falesia Mar consists of apartments on a cliff-top location in Olhos d’Agua a short drive from Albufeira Town which is one of the Algarve’s liveliest resorts. 

The Falesia Mar – full name 3HB Falesia Mar – consists of apartments on a cliff-top location in Olhos d’Agua (stock image pictured)

This comes after six tourists were taken to hospital and another eight treated at the scene after breathing in chemicals at a Spanish holiday resort earlier this month.

The holidaymakers, understood to include children, suffered breathing difficulties after inhaling a mix of hydrochloric acid and bleach at the Eldorado Resort in the Costa Dorada town of Cambrils.

The incident happened around 11am on October 1 prompting seven ambulances to race to the hotel to treat those affected.

The hotel is just a short drive from Albufeira Town which is one of the Algarve’s liveliest resorts (stock image)

Local reports said a lorry operator made a mistake as he refilled a storage tank near the resort gym and spa, causing a dangerous reaction after bleach mixed with hydrochloric acid.

The same person is said to have raised the alarm after realizing his error.

Police and paramedics were among the emergency responders sent to the scene.

Three of those affected were taken to a hospital in Cambrils and another three to one in nearby Reus so they could be given more oxygen.

They are all thought to have been released the same day.

Source: Read Full Article