Alleged hammer attacker charged with killing three inside restaurant

The hammer-wielding suspect accused of fatally bashing three Asian men at a Brooklyn buffet has been indicted on three counts of first-degree murder — while newly unsealed court documents claim he did it to “prove my love of women.”

“Chinese men are awful. They hold their women captive,” accused killer Arthur Martunovich told cops shortly after he was arrested for the Jan. 15 attack at an Asian-owned Seafood buffet in Sheepshead Bay, where he went after only Asian men, records show.

Martunovich, 34, pleaded not guilty to a 21-count indictment Friday by video feed, as he sat cuffed in a chair at Bellevue Hospital.

“I left my apartment with the hammer. I brought the hammer to prove my love of women. I threw the hammer, but don’t remember,” the newly unsealed documents say Martunovich told cops.

The alleged murderer remained quiet during his appearance, simply shaking his head as he heard he’d been indicted on the charges.

Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez was in court for the arraignment and spoke briefly in the hallway with reporters afterward.

“My heart goes out to the families,” Gonzalez said. “Some of the family members today did not want to come to court, they’re still grieving. And, in fact, today are looking at [burial] plots for their loved ones.”

Martunovich faces three charges of first-degree murder — each of which carries a mandatory minimum of life in prison without parole if convicted — and second-degree murder as a hate crime. He was also charged with three counts of second-degree intentional murder, three counts of second-degree murder with depraved indifference, attempted murder, criminal possession of a weapon and various assault raps.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Danny Chun ordered Martunovich held without bail, after prosecutor Howard Jackson said the suspect was “captured on video [bludgeoning] three victims to death” and shortly afterward identified by a bystander.

Defense lawyer Edward Mandery requested a psychiatric examination for his client, which Chun ordered.

Chef Fufai Pun, 34, was killed during the incident, while 60-year-old restaurant owner Kheong Ng-Thang died days later in the hospital. The third victim, Tsz Mat Pun, 50, succumbed to his injuries Jan. 24.

Martunovich is due back in court March 4.

Source: Read Full Article