Strictly's Ugo Monye rushed in for emergency back surgery as he updates fans from his hospital bed

STRICTLY star Ugo Monye has been rushed to hospital for emergency back surgery after being forced to pull out of Saturday's show.

The ex rugby star, 38, who is partnered with Oti Mabuse, had a procedure today and updated fans on his health.


He said: "A quick update. Just had the procedure done and spoke to the doctor, he’s really happy with how everything went.

"Slightly groggy, so going to head home and rest up and recover over the next couple of days.

"I just want to wish all the contestants all the very best of luck I’m absolutely gutted that I can’t dance this week, that I won’t be there.

"But can’t wait to get back and flying next week, so good luck to everyone I’ll be cheerleading off the sofa. Take care and I’ll see you soon."

Mabuse said on Instagram the Strictly producers "have been so supportive in helping him get better".

She added that "we are doing all we can to get Ugo back on his fast feet and dancing again".

The sports pundit announced his withdrawal yesterday hours after fellow competitor Robert Webb and partner Dianne Buswell had to quit.

Ugo said: "Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to dance this weekend on the show. I have a history of back problems which has always been managed under the guidance of medical professionals.

"Unfortunately this has been causing me some unwanted problems this week.

"I have been advised by medical professionals and with huge support from Strictly to get some treatment and rest to ensure that I can get myself back to full capacity and fighting fit for next week.

"Gutted Oti and I won't be dancing this weekend but wishing all the other contestants the best of luck."

Earlier this week The Sun told how Peep Show comedian Robert had been forced to quit after a flare-up of his heart condition.

Peep Show star Webb, who had open heart surgery two years ago, announced he was pulling out of the programme on Wednesday evening, saying he was advised by a doctor to quit after he had "begun to feel symptoms" while training.

He said in a statement: "I'm extremely sorry to have to announce that I'm withdrawing from Strictly Come Dancing due to ill health.

"Two years ago I had open heart surgery and although I believed I was fit enough to take on Strictly and its demanding schedule, it became clear that I had bitten off way more than I could chew for this stage in my recovery.

"I had begun to feel symptoms that led me to seek an urgent consultation with my heart specialist, and it was her view that it would be better for the sake of my health to step back from the show.

"I'm proud of the three dances that Dianne Buswell and I managed to perform and deeply regret having to let her down like this.

"I couldn't have wished for a more talented partner or more patient teacher, and it's a measure of Dianne's professionalism and kindness that I was able to get as far as I did."

He thanked viewers for voting for him and Buswell, adding he was "especially touched by the support from fellow heart patients".

"I think perhaps I was too eager to impress them. They will know that recovery doesn't always go in a straight line, and I hope they're not too disappointed that I ran into the limits of my resilience much sooner than I'd hoped," he said.

"I leave knowing that Strictly viewers are in very safe hands and I'll be cheering for my brother and sister contestants all the way to Christmas.

"Despite this sad ending, it has been a genuine honour to be part of this huge, joyful and barking mad TV show. Long may it continue."

Last weekend McFly star Tom Fletcher and partner Amy Dowden returned to the dancefloor after testing positive for coronavirus.

The duo missed a week of shows while they were self-isolating.



We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Showbiz team?

Email [email protected] or call us direct on 02077824220 .

We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.

    Source: Read Full Article