Strictly: Craig mocks Anton Du Beke for 'no longer being a judge'
The latest series of Strictly Come Dancing saw Bruno Tonioli, who has been on the show as a judge since it began in 2004, join remotely from America as he was unable to travel back to the UK due to his commitments on Dancing with the Stars. Bruno joined Shirley Ballas, Craig Revel Horwood and Motsi Mabuse when he could via video link but as Covid restrictions look set to be in place for some time, the judge’s role on Strictly is said tone up in the air. It’s been reported bosses are “uneasy” about confirming Bruno’s return and could instead hand the judging role to Anton Du Beke.
Anton was a hit with Strictly Come Dancing viewers when he stepped into the judging seat for two weeks.
Before Shirley and Motsi joined the judging panel, Anton was the favourite to step up and take their seats.
While Anton has remained a professional dancer on the BBC series, it’s been hinted he could be set for a promotion this year.
The Mail on Sunday has reported Strictly bosses are “uneasy” about signing Bruno up for another series if he only appears on screen for a few minutes each episode.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
As a result, they are said to be looking to Anton to take his place.
“This time last year Bruno had been signed up but things are so much less certain now,” an insider told the publication.
“It is very unlikely the BBC will allow themselves to be in the same position they were this year and end up spending so much money for such little value.”
The source added if Bruno chooses Dancing with the Stars over Strictly again, “things will be tricky”.
“There is the perfect replacement waiting in the wings – Anton,” the insider commented.
Express.co.uk has contacted a representative for Strictly Come Dancing for comment.
It comes after Anton admitted he would be happy to remain as a professional dancer on the BBC series.
Speaking on Times Radio in December 2020 before the final, he said: “The four judges as far as I am aware, I haven’t heard if there is going to be any change to the judging panel for next year.
Kelvin Fletcher reacts to Strictly viewer who blasted ‘rubbish’ show [LATEST]
Gemma Atkinson says ‘Don’t be a little b***h’ as she addresses goals [VIDEO]
Ranvir Singh leaves flirty comment on Giovanni’s topless pic [UPDATE]
“They will remain the four judges and I will continue to dance. If there is any change on that then we would have to wait and see.”
Asked if he would like to become a judge, Anton noted: “I wouldn’t mind it.The only thing is I wouldn’t be able to dance and that’s the downside to it.
“I’m still in that place where I want to dance and I want to perform.
“But I really enjoyed the role as a judge for a couple of weeks, I enjoyed it enormously. I enjoy standing there and watching and then just commenting on what I saw.
“If they offered it to me, I would accept it and say ‘thank you very much, I’d love to do it.’
“I’m not convinced they would offer it to me twice if I turned it down, they wouldn’t offer it to me again so that would be the only thing about it.
“I still want to dance but I’m sure I could ask them to let me dance now and again, just a little bit.”
Strictly Come Dancing returns to BBC One later this year.
Source: Read Full Article