- Mike Tyson's trainer said the mid-50s former boxing champion is as powerful today as fighters 10 years younger than he is.
- Tyson has not fought since 2005 but returns to the ring for an informal boxing exhibition with Roy Jones Jr. on November 28.
- Jones said recently that he may regret accepting to take part in the exhibition as Tyson is so explosive and is the bigger guy.
- Tyson's trainer Rafael Cordeiro seemingly agrees, saying recently: "When you talk about power, I held his right hook and thought 'he is going to kill somebody'."
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
Mike Tyson's trainer Rafael Cordeiro said he thought the fighter could "kill somebody" when he felt his right hook during their first sessions together.
Cordeiro has this year been preparing the former heavyweight boxing champion for a return to the ring ahead of a November 28 charity exhibition involving Roy Jones Jr. in California.
The bout will not count on either athletes' official records but both fighters have been hyping the event as if it were a real prizefight.
Jones even said in September that he may have "made a mistake" agreeing to the exhibition because Tyson is "the bigger guy" and "the explosive guy."
And, in a weekend story from The Sun, Cordeiro told an anecdote which highlights Tyson's explosiveness, saying he's as powerful in his mid-50s as fighters 10 years his junior.
"As soon as we started training I said 'My Lord.' I didn't know what to expect from a guy who hasn't hit mitts for — I think — almost ten years," Cordeiro, a former Muay Thai champion said.
"So I didn't expect to see what I saw. I saw a guy with the same speed, the same power as a guy who is 21, 22-years-old.
"You would have to be a good guy to spar with Mike because if you don't prepare, he is going to drop you. The power is different level," he said.
Cordeiro added that Tyson, 54, is as powerful as the MMA fighter Wanderlei Silva, 44, who is nicknamed "The Axe Murderer" and has 27 knockout wins on his record.
"I have trained a lot of heavyweights in my career, with not a lot of respect for everybody, but he is almost as powerful as Wanderlei Silva is right now.
"When you talk about power, I held his right hook and thought 'he is going to kill somebody'."
Source: Read Full Article