JOE BURROW says it's a "dream come true" to be the No 1 overall draft pick after being selected by the Cincinnati Bengals.
The 23-year-old quarterback was the first selection made on the opening night of the 2020 NFL Draft on Thursday night.
Burrow threw a remarkable 60 touchdown passes in guiding LSU to college football national championship glory last season.
He said: "I knew I was going to have a really good season because we had really good players coming back and really good coaches.
"But to jump up to number one overall is crazy to me and it's a dream come true."
The draft took place in a fully virtual format with the coronavirus pandemic forcing Las Vegas plans to be cancelled.
The spectacle was due to be held in front of the famous Fountains of Bellagio.
But instead team coaches and execs were forced to set up makeshift offices in their homes to pick their college prospects.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced all the picks from his home in New York.
Washington Redskins took defensive end Chase Young with the second pick while Detroit Lions selected Jeff Okudah third.
Tackle Andrew Thomas was picked fourth overall by the New York Giants.
Much of the pre-draft speculation surrounded quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, and he was selected fifth by the Miami Dolphins.
That left the Los Angeles Chargers to pick up Justin Herbert – the third quarterback in the top six selections.
FULL FIRST ROUND PICKS
1. Joe Burrow (QB), Cincinnati Bengals
2. Chase Young (DE), Washington Redskins
3. Jeff Okudah (CB), Detroit Lions
4. Andrew Thomas (OT), New York Giants
5. Tua Tagovailoa (QB), Miami Dolphins
6. Justin Herbert (QB), Los Angeles Chargers
7. Derrick Brown (DT), Carolina Panthers
8. Isaiah Simmons (LB), Arizona Cardinals
9. CJ Henderson (CB), Jacksonville Jaguars
10. Jedrick Wills Jr (OT), Cleveland Browns
11. Mekhi Becton (OT), New York Jets
12. Henry Ruggs III (WR), Oakland Raiders
13. Tristan Wirfs (OT), Tampa Bay Buccaneers
14. Javon Kinlaw (DT), San Francisco 49ers
15. Jerry Jeudy (WR), Denver Broncos
16. AJ Terrell (CB), Atlanta Falcons
17. CeeDee Lamb (WR), Dallas Cowboys
18. Austin Jackson (OT), Miami Dolphins
19. Damon Arnette (CB), Oakland Raiders
20. K'Lavon Chaisson (DE), Jacksonville Jaguars
21. Jalen Reagor (WR), Philadelphia Eagles
22. Justin Jefferson (WR), Minnesota Vikings
23. Kenneth Murray (LB), Los Angeles Chargers
24. Cesar Ruiz (C), New Orleans Saints
25. Brandin Aiyuk (WR), San Francisco 49ers
26. Jordan Love (QB), Green Bay Packers
27. Jordyn Brooks (LB), Seattle Seahawks
Draft night usually sees teams exchanging picks and jostling for position, and that happened again as Tampa Bay Buccaneers and San Francisco 49ers traded places.
The Bucs moved up to 13th to select tackle Tristan Wirfs as the 49ers dropped back a spot in exchange for a better pick later in the draft.
New England Patriots also gave up their 23rd overall pick to the Los Angeles Chargers in exchange for second and third round picks on Friday.
And in a surprise late move, the Green Bay Packers traded up with the Miami Dolphins to land quarterback Jordan Love with the 26th overall pick.
Rounds two and three of the draft will take place on Friday night with four to seven set for Saturday.
The NFL season is due to start in September but plans could be hugely affected by coronavirus, which has killed more than 45,000 people in the US so far.
League officials are committed to releasing the season's schedule and fixtures by May 9.
Source: Read Full Article