The Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1) visit the Houston Texans (0-1) at NRG Stadium Sunday. The all-AFC South Week 2 match up kicks off at 1 p.m. ET with both teams vying to join the Tennessee Titans atop the division.
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans: Week 2 preview, betting trends and notes
- The Jaguars lost 40-26 at home against the Kansas City Chiefs in their Week 1 opener. They failed to cover the spread by 10.5 points and finished 17 points above the projected total.
- The Texans covered the spread, but fell 30-28 on the road against the New Orleans Saints in Week 1. They topped the projection by six points after a scoreless first quarter.
- The Texans went just 7-9-1 overall against the spread last season (including playoffs), but they covered by an average of 1.2 points. They were 4-5 ATS at home, 2-2-1 following a loss and 4-3-0 in divisional games.
- Jacksonville was 5-9-2 ATS overall, falling an average of 4.6 points short of the cover. It was 2-5-1 as the visitor, 3-5-2 after a loss and 1-4-1 in divisional games.
- Both teams favored the under last year with the Texans going 7-10 and the Jaguars going 6-10 against projected totals.
Need help with your fantasy football team?TheHuddle.com has your back. Creating champions for over two decades, this year it’s your turn to win! Subscribe now atTheHuddle.com; use code ” sbw15″ to take $15 off. Discount valid for first-time Huddle subscribers through 10/31/19.
- The Texans won both meetings last year by 13 and 17 points with combined totals of 33 and 37. Jacksonville won 2017’s two meetings by 22 and 38 points. Houston had won the previous six dating back to 2013.
- Jaguars QB Nick Foles is on the injured reserve due to a broken collarbone suffered in Week 1.
- Rookie QB Gardner Minshew replaced Foles and completed 22 of 25 pass attempts for 275 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
- The Texans rushing attack was led by veteran Carlos Hyde in Week 1. He’s on his fourth team of the last two years and gained 83 yards on 10 carries with a long of 20. Duke Johnson (recently acquired from the Cleveland Browns) rushed for 57 yards on nine attempts.
- WR DeAndre Hopkins caught eight passes for 111 yards and two scores. Kenny Stills had three receptions for 37 yards and a score after being acquired in a trade with the Miami Dolphins.
Jacksonville Jaguars at Houston Texans: Odds, betting lines and prediction
Sep 8, 2019; Jacksonville, FL, USA; Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Gardner Minshew II (15) scrambles with the ball during the second quarter against the Kansas City Chiefs at TIAA Bank Field. Mandatory Credit: Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
Photo Credit: Douglas DeFelice – USA TODAY Sports
Odds via BetMGM; access USA TODAY Sports’ betting odds for a full list. Lines last updated Wednesday at 4:45 p.m. ET.
Texans 30, Jaguars 24
Moneyline ( ?)
The Texans would be the play if it weren’t the chalky -455 on the moneyline, in part to Minshew making his first NFL start. The +333 for the Jaguars would be intriguing if they were at home based on how Minshew looked last week, but we’ll stay away in favor of the spread.
Against the Spread ( ?)
Back the Jags to cover the +8.5 (-110) with the help of a late backdoor cover. Minshew faces a much tougher defense this week, but he’ll be able to get some points late once the Texans storm out to an early lead.
Target the OVER (43.5, -106) as the top play in this game with neither defense looking stout last week and both offenses having quick-strike abilities.
Want action on this game? Sign up and bet at BetMGM. Want more sports betting coverage and tips? Visit us at SportsbookWire.com.
Esten’s NFL betting record: 5-1
Follow Esten on Twitter @EstenMcLaren and SportsbookWire at @SportsbookWire.
Browns fan who wasn’t at game claims team banned him for throwing beer on Logan Ryan
Florida State’s Tre McKitty explained why he lined up facing the wrong way on purpose
Fantasy football: Should you keep or cut these 9 players after Week 1?
How Jimmie Johnson once saved Dale Earnhardt Jr. when he drunkenly cracked his head open
Week 2 fantasy football studs, duds and sleepers: Bench Kyler Murray vs. the Ravens
Source: Read Full Article