- Jared Cannonier said he fought his UFC 254 match with a broken or fractured arm.
- The American middleweight lost Saturday to the division's former champion Robert Whittaker.
- Whittaker apparently injured Cannonier's left arm with the first kick he threw in the fight, Cannonier said.
- He posted a photograph on his Instagram account which shows bandages wrapped around his forearm.
- Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
An American UFC fighter called Jared Cannonier said he fought three rounds Saturday with a fractured arm after his opponent injured him with his first kick of the match.
Cannonier fought Robert Whittaker in the co-main event at UFC 254 on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi, losing a decision.
According to his later comments, he did so with a fractured arm.
"That didn't go exactly how I wanted but my spirits remain high and I'm happy with how I fought all things considered," the 36-year-old said on Instagram.
"The very first kick he threw broke or fractured my left ulna, I couldn't find my groove and adjust quickly to get the W [win] so I'll take my L [loss] with pride."
Cannonier had won three bouts heading into the Fight Island finale, defeating David Branch, Anderson Silva, and Jack Hermansson all by technical knockout.
Losing to Whittaker interrupts that winning streak, and maneuvers the Australian into a likely second title shot at the UFC middleweight champion Israel Adesanya, as Whittaker now has two big wins in a row.
"Whittaker certainly lived up to my expectations before and after the fight. Congrats mate."
Cannonier shared a photograph on his social media account which shows bandages wrapped around part of his left arm.
Source: Read Full Article