Teenagers sniff wheelie bins in dangerous new drug craze sparking police warning

Police have issued a warning over an ‘extremely dangerous’ drug craze which sees youngsters sniffing the fumes of burning wheelie bins.

The bizarre trend sees teens setting fire to the plastic bins then inhaling the ‘highly toxic’ fumes to get high.

Dyes used making the bins are thought to cause a buzz – but now police in Greater Manchester warn it could be hugely damaging to people’s health.

Officers say there have been "several" reports of the drug craze in recent weeks.

Anti-solvent abuse charities said inhaling the bin fumes could be more dangerous than sniffing glue or petrol.


A GMP spokesman said: "Longsight Park has been subject to massive damage recently as a result of wheelie bins being set on fire in the middle of the children’s play area.

"This type of damage has a wide spread effect on communities and renders public spaces unusable.

"Intelligence from Greater Manchester fire and rescue suggests that wheelie bins are being set on fire and fumes from the bins are inhaled.

"Both GMP and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have received several reports of bins being set on fire in recent weeks.

"This is extremely dangerous as the fumes from the plastic are highly toxic."

The force has encouraged residents to avoid leaving their bins out unnecessarily and to keep them out of public view if possible.

The trend surfaced for a short time in 2007 in South Yorkshire but it has made a revival in recent months.

There were a number of reports in Scotland, also in 2007, of vandals burning bus shelters to get high from the resulting fumes.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Begum says loss of citizenship ‘unjust’
  • Meghan’s 10,000 mile trip
  • Schoolgirl dies ‘after eating ice cream’
  • Amazon deliveryman steals dog

Source: Read Full Article