Student found drowned in city centre canal days after ‘disappearing’ from hotel

A university student was found drowned in a city centre canal days after he 'disappeared' from a hotel following a night out, an inquest heard.

Orlando Nyero, from Bolton, was seen being sick in a toilet at Viva nightclub in Manchester city centre and was then asked to leave, the inquest heard.

The teen, who was studying forensic science, was taken back to a hotel by friends who tried to put him to bed.

But Orlando didn't want to sleep, followed them back downstairs and 'just disappeared' at around 3.30am on June 3 last year, Manchester Coroner's Court was told.

His body was found by an underwater search team in the Rochdale Canal near Lock 90 on June 5, the Manchester Evening News reports.

The inquest heard his movements were captured on CCTV cameras and he was last seen 'towards the end' of Deansgate Locks.

Footage showed him on his own walking, jogging and at times and running – but there was no evidence to suggest he was being followed or chased.

His death wasn't treated as suspicious after a police investigation, the inquest heard.

Police coroner's officer Marie Logan said: "There does not seem to be any particular reason for Orlando's behaviour."

No evidence of drugs was found in his system but toxicology tests found the presence of alcohol which would have made him around two-and-a-half times the legal drink drive limit.

The tragedy came after the death in March, 2018, of 19-year-old University of Manchester student Charlie Pope, who also went missing after a night out with friends in the city centre. Charlie's body was found in the same stretch of water.

Their deaths prompted a campaign calling for a review into safety around Manchester's waterways and led to barriers being put up and certain canal towpaths being closed off at night.

After the inquest Orlando's family called for more to be done to 'prevent further unnecessary and catastrophic losses to families'.

A post-mortem examination ruled the cause of his death to be drowning contributed to by alcohol intoxication.

Orlando's mother Flora Ingullo said she expected him to return home after the night out and said she didn't know he drank alcohol.

The inquest heard he was with his brother and friends and they had gone for a meal at San Carlo restaurant off Deansgate to celebrate a birthday before leaving for the hotel then going to the club.

Orlando was 'repeatedly' losing his bank card inside and his brother took it from him to stop him buying more drinks after he was sick in the toilet.

Friend Emmanuel Yoak, who took him back to the hotel, said Orlando was drunk.

"I tried to put him to sleep but he did not want to go to sleep," he said.

"I came back down the stairs and he followed me downstairs. I do not know where he went. He just disappeared."

Mr Yoak said he was planning to leave the room's key card with security for others to collect when they returned from the club before leaving for his flat.

Born in Uganda, Orlando and his family moved to England in 2006, and he was studying at Wolverhampton University.

No CCTV footage was found showing when or where he entered the water, the inquest heard, and there were no witnesses either.

Senior coroner Nigel Meadows said the issue of water safety rested with the Canal and River Trust and the council, but said he was confident they were regularly reviewing the situation.

He said it would be impossible to have 'every foot' of the canal covered by CCTV, but he said he would be writing a 'letter of concern' to them in relation to Orlando's death.

He said: "The evidence suggests that he [Orlando] had quite a bit of alcohol. He then leaves the hotel shortly after 3.30am.

"We do not know where he was going or why. He might have become confused. He might have been thinking he was going one way. I do not know.

"All we know is that he followed a route. He walked, jogged and ran in parts. There is no evidence of him entering the water.

"I do not know how he came to fall in the water. He could have overbalanced, slipped or tripped.

"There are lots of explanations. I just do not know. I can be entirely satisfied there was no suspicious circumstances."

He recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

In a statement, Orlando's family said they believed 'sufficient lighting' should be introduced across the city centre canal network, particularly at stretches near 'nightlife areas', and called for increased signage and barriers around the Lock 90 area.

They said signage and proper lighting could deter someone from encroaching into areas regardless of their intoxication.

The family said: "We are grieving and no amount of change will ever bring the solace needed to fill the loss of our son and brother, but it would bring them a great level of comfort and closure knowing that changes were made to help prevent further unnecessary and catastrophic losses to families.

"They believe these small changes could save lives and feel strongly that these recommendations should be considered in the memory of Orlando and others who have needlessly lost their lives."

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • Dad dies after single line of cocaine
  • Woman can see Jesus in Notre Dame flames
  • Prince Philip car victim on motoring rap
  • Couple take DNA test – doesn't end well

Source: Read Full Article