Homeowners could risk £1,000 fine if they fail to respond to council letter

Households could risk a hefty fine if they throw away an important letter from their council.

Brits who fail to respond to their post could land themselves an eye-watering fine of £1,000.

Councils are sending out forms in the post about who is registered to vote at each address.

These letters are known as a Household Response form and they're most definitely not junk mail.

Local authorities must do an annual canvas to check that the details of everyone who is registered to vote are correct.

Usually this happens between July and November, so you need to check the information and respond immediately.

Even if nothing has changed and the information is correct, you are expected to confirm this.

The Household Response form is posted to your letterbox by your council between July and November each year.

Every home in the UK must respond, so the council can make sure their data is up-to-date.

The letter lists all those living in the property that are currently registered to vote and asks you to check and update the details.

It also gives you details on how you can respond, and anyone in the household can complete and return the form.

To confirm details, you can go online and there will be instructions on the form, email or text message.

Alternatively you can go to HouseholdResponse.com to find your local authority.

You will need two security codes printed on the form you get in the post.

If you want to amend the details you can make the changes on the form or online too.

  • Cheeky carpenter carves X-rated man on 800-year-old church exposed decades later

Get all the biggest Lifestyle news straight to your inbox. Sign up for the free Daily Star Hot Topics newsletter

And if you fail to reply before the council's chosen deadline, you could find yourself with a £1,000 fine.

The website said: "There is a criminal penalty of a fine up to a maximum of £1,000 for failing to provide the information required".

If there are new people living at your household, the council will send each person an Invitation to Register (ITR).

You can register online by going to the GOV.UK website.

Source: Read Full Article