Fitness fanatic ‘feared for life’ after ‘biting slug from pack of Lidl pak choi’

A businessman claims he feared for his life after biting into a live slug which was wriggling around on pak choi he had just bought from Lidl .

Ed Robinson, 47, purchased two packets of the greens but says he was disgusted to see a large slug crawling on the cabbage when he got home.

He captured footage of the creature slithering around on a leaf – but didn't realise there was also a slug in the second pack.

Repulsed Ed, from Rayleigh, Essex, then bit through the second slimy mollusc and instantly felt sick.

Speaking exclusively to Mirror Online, the fitness fanatic said: "I actually bit through the slug. I ran to the toilet as soon as I realised and spat it out. I luckily didn't swallow it.

"I felt it between my teeth. I could feel the slime going through my teeth and so I was able to spot it and spit it straight out. It was horrible.


"This could have been fatal. If I would have been eating it and my teeth didn't stop it going through, I would have swallowed it. You only Google 'people eating slugs' and see people dying.

"That one lad had brain damage I think after eating one for a dare so certainly, if not death, I could have occurred life-changing injuries. There was a chance that could have happened here."

Indeed, a 29-year-old man died last year after eating a slug as a dare. It led to years of paralysis and then his tragic death in Australia.

Ed, who works in the building trade, bought the pak choi from the Lidl in Eastwood, Essex.

He used to shop at the supermarket regularly but now says he won't return.


Since his ordeal, Ed has complained to Lidl but has been left frustrated with their feedback.

Ed added: "I find the customer care insulting. Since it happened, I complained and I then wrote in detail how traumatic this has been.

"I outlined how I'd lost earnings, had been sick and everything but they didn't seem to care.

"You do not expect things like this on fresh vegetables. I have been shopping there for a while for groceries but this is awful.

"I was unwell, genuinely unwell. I was sick and I took two days off work. I lost money and my work suffered significantly."


Ed, who eats all his vegetables raw for nutritional reasons, described the moment he bit into the slug.

The businessman said: "It was crunchy. It was all slimy and tasted nothing like anything else. It was soft but tough at the same time. It happened so quickly but I could tell it was a slug.

"I was ill, physically sick. Then I got paranoid because I recently saw a story about a kid who I think ate a slug for a dare and ended up being paralysed.

"So I washed my mouth out with mouthwash straightaway and then called Lidl.

"I couldn't eat that day and the following day. I got paranoid and was really worried – I wasn't well at all.

"I started washing the pac choi, could see nothing and ate it. I eat all my vegetables raw as I am very conscious of nutrition and health.

Lidl, whose headquarters is based in Neckarsulm, southeast Germany, conceded its "high standards were not met" on this occasion in July. 


Source: Read Full Article