Cost of living payment loophole means some households could get more than one £650 payment – do you qualify? | The Sun

RENTERS living in homes of multiple occupancy can make separate claims for the £650 cost of living payment, it has been confirmed.

The payment, which comes as part of a raft of support from the government, is to be paid in two instalments – one from July 14 and the other in the autumn.

Those on benefits claiming Universal Credit, income-related Employment Support Allowance, income-related Jobseeker's Allowance, Income Support and Pension Credit will get the payment.

Those who claim tax credits also will, but will receive their first payment slightly later.

If you have a joint benefit claim with a partner, you will only receive the one £650 payment between you.

However, the Department for Work and Pensions confirmed today if you are living in a shared home, you can make separate £650 payment claims.

Read more in Money

I’m a pound store shopping pro – the £1 bargains that you should avoid

I lost hundreds of thousands of pounds gambling and thought I might die

Therefore, if there is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) with a couple and four single adults all claiming Universal Credit, there would be five payments made by the government.

One payment would go to the couple with a joint claim, and then four payments to the single adults.

It comes with energy bills, and fuel and food costs rising in recent months.

Despite the government offering up a giant support package, there have been calls for them to do more.

Most read in Money


My neighbours have put up a 6ft fence to stop my son playing in the garden


Urgent bank warning to thousands of customers as payments ‘disappear’


Two clueless Lottery winners have less than a MONTH left to claim their winnings


Seven Universal Credit changes you need to know – or risk having payments STOPPED

Earlier this month, drivers' groups were urging the chancellor Rishi Sunak to slash duel duty by 20p to combat soaring fuel costs.

Am I eligible for the cost of living payment?

To get the first cost of living payment worth £326, you have to meet certain criteria.

You must have been entitled to a payment of either:

  • Universal Credit for an assessment period ending between April 26 and May 25 this year or;
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support or Pension Credit for any day between April 26 and May 25 this year.

You will not be eligible for a claim if you get New Style Employment and Support Allowance, contributory Employment and Support Allowance, or New Style Jobseeker's Allowance, unless you get Universal Credit.

Those on a qualifying disability benefit may also be eligible for the disability cost of living payment.

Read More on The Sun

I accidentally paid £24k to British Gas… they wouldn’t give me my cash back

Holly Willoughby shares hack to do your bracelet up if you’re on your own

The Sun previously reported on all the direct payments households could be eligible for this year.

And we revealed the key updates for those waiting for their £150 Council Tax rebate.

    Source: Read Full Article