THIS Feel Good Friday, we’re nourishing the body, as it’s International Waffle Day!
Every year, 25th March marks International Waffle Day. A whole day dedicated to crispy, delicious desserts seems like a great idea.
However, it actually started by accident. In Sweden, the day was first observed as “Vårfrudagen”, meaning “Our Lady’s Day”.
NEW TO SUN BINGO? JOIN NOW FOR 50 FREE SPINS AND £50 BINGO BONUS*
In the Bible, this is the date that Archangel Gabriel told Mary that she was pregnant (as it’s nine months before Christmas).
The pronunciation of Vårfrudagen is very similar to “Våffeldagen”, which means “Waffle Day”.
Over time, the day has become less religious and more delicious!
Waffle you on about?
Here are some waffle facts to get your teeth stuck in.
- Swedish waffles are made in a specially shaped waffle maker so that the waffles come out as five conjoined hearts.
- The earliest known waffle recipe is in Le Ménagier de Paris. It dates from approximately 1393 and suggests kneading flour with eggs and powdered ginger.
- One morning, in 1971, Nike Co-Founder Bill Bowerman was watching his wife use their waffle iron, when he realised that the honeycomb shape of the waffle would be the perfect shape for the sole of an athletic trainer. Bowerman actually used a waffle iron to create the first Nike trainer sole!
WIN A SHARE OF OVER £30,000 EVERY WEEK
Whip up a batch
According to Visit Sweden, this recipe will make delicious, quintessential Swedish waffles:
- 1.25 cups of cold water
- 1.5 cups of flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups of whipping cream
- butter for the waffle iron
- whipping cream
Mix the water, flour and salt until smooth. Whip the cream until it is stiff, and fold it together with the batter.
Butter the waffle iron and bake the mixture at full power, then put the waffles on a grid to cool.
If you don’t have a waffle iron or sandwich press, cook them as you would pancakes.
WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THIS CLASSIC MUSICAL FILM?
Beat the cream and place it on waffles with raspberry or strawberry jam.
A trick for making the waffles extra crispy is to use non-flavoured, carbonated water.
The waffles are best served alongside a fresh cup of coffee!
It’s not just the Sun Bingo community who are excited about waffles. There’s a rich, cinematic history of waffle love:
- Shrek and Shrek Forever After
In the first Shrek film, Donkey asks if he can stay the night: “We can stay up, tell manly stories, and in the morning, I’m making waffles!”
Fast forward to Shrek Forever After and Donkey thinks that the freshly made waffles in the middle of the forest aren’t suspicious but “sticky stacks of golden syrupy deliciousness” left by the Waffle Fairy.
PLAY THE DAILY SPIN-GO WHEEL FOR A CHANCE TO WIN UP TO £100 CASH
- 50 First Dates
Henry repeatedly meets Lucy, an amnesic, for the first time. Each of these first dates that happens in the Hukilau Café involve the couple discussing the waffle house that Lucy is building.
- Parks and Recreation
Leslie Knope’s adoration of waffles is well documented. She offers viewers very poignant pearls of wisdom, such as: “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles and work. Or waffles, friends and work”.
Sun Bingo is the cherry on top
If all this waffling on has made you hungry, Sun Bingo can help sort out your crispy pastry cravings!
Turns out, our slots and bingo rooms offer a host of waffle-perfect virtual toppings!
- Candy Room – if you’re a fan of a sugary topping, why not try out the sweet treats in the Candy Room?
- Extra Juicy – you might be in the mood for a slightly healthier topping, in which case, you should check out the fruit selection in our slot game Extra Juicy.
- Beez Kneez – for those who like to combine sweet tastes AND a healthy option, honey is a great choice of topping. Where better to find it than our slot Beez Kneez?
- Chocolate Cash Pots – of course, the absolutely classic topping choice, and arguably the best, is chocolate. The name of this game says it all. Check out Chocolate Cash Pots for all your coco needs.
How will you be celebrating International Waffle Day? We’d love to know what toppings you’ll be having!
Most read in Bingo
Get a chance to win £100 cash daily with Sun Bingo's Spin-Go wheel
Enter Sun Bingo's Mother's Day prize giveaway by playing any game on site
Play with Fabulous Bingo and earn entry to our Mother’s Day draw
Get a £50 bingo bonus plus 50 free spins when you sign up to Sun Bingo today
*Terms and conditions: Until 31/03/22. New customers only. Deposit & spend £10 on Bingo to receive £50 Bingo Bonus & 50 Free Spins (selected slots only £0.20 per spin). Free Spins must be accepted within 48 hours, winnings have 30x wagering which must be wagered within this time. Bingo Bonus has 4x Wagering, bonus must be accepted & wagered within 7 days. 1 new player offer only. Deposits made with Neteller/Skrill/PayPal are not valid for this promotion. T&C’s apply.
Commercial content notice: Taking one of the offers featured in this article may result in a payment to The Sun. 18+. T&Cs apply. Begambleaware.org
Remember to gamble responsibly
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry or depressed
- Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org
For help with a gambling problem, call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or go to www.gamstop.co.uk to be excluded from all UK-regulated gambling websites.
Source: Read Full Article