THE plain white t-shirt: has a simpler and chicer item of clothing ever existed?
Trends come and go but there’s something so effortlessly put together about a white tee: whether dressed up or down, worn with your favourite sandals and a tan or teamed with tailoring for a work-appropriate ensemble, it’s an essential staple that provides the solid foundations for any good wardrobe.
Paris Street style by Goran Cizmesija / Style Seconds#paris #street #style #fashion #streetstyle #streetfashion #pfw #gorancizmesija
A post shared bySTYLE SECONDS Goran Cizmesija (@style.seconds) on
The beauty in the white t-shirt is its versatility: it layers well under summer dresses for trans-seasonal wear, looks effortless with a pair of skinny jeans and blazer, and sits just as well under knitwear in the winter, as it does in the summer with a pair of denim cut-offs.
For something so simple, there’s a LOT of choice when it comes to shopping for the best white t-shirts for women.
Cropped, boxy, slim-fitting and oversized are just some of the options on offer, while fabrics are something to consider too. Organic cottons are always a great place to start but you may also want to opt for something with a touch of elastane for a stretchier fit.
Whether you're looking for something to tuck into your favourite denims or a t-shirt you can knot and wear with a summer skirt, we've rounded up a must-have selection for you to choose from.
1. Best 90s style white t-shirt: Zara's T-Shirt with Button Details
- T-Shirt with Button Details, £9.99 from Zara – buy here
The 90s has been 'back' for what feels like forever now, bringing with it a nonchalant air of cool. This white tee from Zara nails the decade's laidback vibe, with a casual but fitted button-up polo style that's very Rachel Green.
Worn unbuttoned, this is how to do alluring in the chicest of ways.
2. Best frill detail white t-shirt: Whistles' Frill-trim Linen Top
- Frill-trim linen top, £47.20 (was £59) from Selfridges – buy here
Proving that the proverbial white t-shirt doesn't have to be bog-standard, this pretty tee by Whistles features a V-neck and frill detail across the front and on the sleeves, which gives it a really elevated look.
It's crafted from pure linen, making it ideal for the warmer weather, while the dropped hem is suitably directional.
Grab it on-sale while you can.
3. Best brand logo white t-shirt: Calvin Klein's Logo Print Stretch Cotton T-shirt
- Calvin Klein's logo-print stretch-cotton T-shirt, £45 from Selfridges – buy here
A white tee with a brand logo on it can really set the tone for the rest of your outfit —especially when it's Calvin Klein.
Teamed with a pair of denims, this is a classic CK look that could have come straight from the 90s and we're here for it.
At under £50, it's a great way to buy into the brand too, at a lower price point.
4. Best pocket detail white t-shirt: GAP's Pocket T-Shirt
- Pocket t-shirt, £16.95 from GAP – buy here
GAP have been making quality staples for years, so it's no wonder this patch pocket tee has come straight from the archives and still looks as great as ever.
This reissue has all the hallmarks of a cool and fresh white tee: short sleeves, crewneck and pocket detail to add to the laidback vibes.
Throw on with a pair of denim cutoffs for effortless off-duty style this summer.
5. Best sleeve detail on a white t-shirt: Lands' End's T-shirt With Lace Trim and Flutter Sleeve
- T-shirt With Lace Trim and Flutter Sleeve, £13 (was £30) from Lands' End – buy here
If boxy white t-shirts feel a little too plain and casual for you, adding interest with your sleeves is a subtle way to inject some femininity into your silhouette.
The flutter sleeves on this off-white tee by Lands' End are not only super-flattering, but they make this a really fashion-worthy piece that will elevate any outfit—especially with that added lace trim.
6. Best cheap fitted white t-shirt: New Look's White Scoop Neck T-Shirt
- White Scoop Neck T-Shirt, £3.99 from New Look – buy here
You can always count on New Look to come up with good quality basics and this white t-shirt is no exception. At just £3.99 and made from organic cotton, we nearly did a double-take when we saw the price!
Even better, it's part of the brand's New Look Kind range: styles that are 'responsibly sourced and friendlier to the planet.' What's not to love?
7. Best pack of white t-shirts: Organic Basics' SilverTech™ Tee 3-pack
- SilverTech™ Tee 3-pack, £106 (was £125) from Organic Basics – buy here
Why have one white tee when you can have three? Like any basic, it's always handy to have a few on hand and this pack of three by Organic Basics comes with glowing reviews.
Promising to be odourless, these tees are made with organic cotton and the brand's SilverTech™ technology — a sustainably sourced real silver that is weaved into the cotton to regulate heat and stay fresh. Genius!
We love the fact that you can choose each individual size and colour (white or black) of all three t-shirts, giving you the freedom to mix and match your fits.
8. Best quality white t-shirt: Outerknown's Sunny Scoop Neck Tee
- Sunny Scoop Neck Tee, £58 from Outerknown – buy here
Founded by 11-time World Surf League Champion, Kelly Slater and acclaimed designer, John Moore, Outerknown has been crafting quality pieces since launching in 2015.
This scoop neck tee is an instant winner for relaxed everyday style, with a flattering fit to suit all shapes. Made from 97% organic cotton, it's been sewn in a Fair Trade Certified™ facility, ensuring the makers have been paid a premium for their work.
Team it with stonewash jeans for the chicest of off-duty looks.
9. Best cropped white t-shirt: Missguided's White Cap Sleeve Crop Top
- White Cap Sleeve Crop Top, £6 from Missguided – buy now
Crop tops aren't just the friend of a flat stomach, they're the perfect companion to high-rise jeans and skirts.
Missguided's version features a high neck and cool capped sleeves in a flattering silhouette.
10. Best linen-blend white t-shirt: BAM's Revive Woven Bamboo Top
- Revive Woven Bamboo Top, £44 from BAM – buy here
You can't beat the look and feel of linen in the summer.
BAM have got it just right with this woven linen-bamboo fabric tee that not only looks amazing but is environmentally sustainable too. The brand has just announced its goal to become impact positive by 2030, making it the first established British clothing brand to do so.
Cut with a v-neck and featuring a grown-on sleeve design, this is a go-to t-shirt for laidback style that will keep you cool in the heat.
11. Best white t-shirt for work: New Look's White Woven Puff Sleeve T-Shirt
- White Woven Puff Sleeve T-Shirt, £8.99 from New Look – buy here
Workwear codes are becoming increasingly casual—especially with many of us now working from home and only needing to drop in on the occasional video meeting.
This T-shirt blurs the boundaries between smart and relaxed in all the right ways; its puff sleeves make it look instantly dressier and more elevated than a standard tee.
It's also part of New Look's new range which offers styles that are responsibly sourced and friendlier to the planet.
12. Best cheap white t-shirt: Uniqlo's U Crew Neck Short Sleeved T-shirt
- U Crew Neck Short Sleeved T-shirt, £9.90 from Uniqlo – buy now
For under a tenner, Uniqlo's white T-shirt ticks all the boxes, with a good balance of quality and value.
It's cut from premium cotton in a flattering, slightly contoured silhouette and has a classic crew neckline.
We like how it's perfect for layering but still flattering on the figure when worn with just a simple pair of trousers.
13. Best white t-shirt for breastfeeding: Maman Bebe's Breton Stripe Nursing T-shirt
- Breton Stripe Nursing T-shirt, £26 from Jojo Maman Bebe – buy here
We know this isn't exactly a plain white t-shirt, but its classic Breton-inspired design and rave reviews meant we couldn't bear to leave it out of this list.
A lot of nursing tops are low-cut to create easy access, so we love the amount of coverage Jojo Maman Bebe's offers.
Made from soft stretch cotton, it's cleverly designed with a double layer that pulls up during feeds.
The stretchy fabric accommodates every size of post-partum bump…because everyone's shrinks at a different rate.
14. Best premium fitted white t-shirt: Ted Baker's Stretch Jersey T-shirt
- Fitted Stretch Jersey T-shirt, £39 from Selfridges – buy now
For when you're not showing off the skin, you can show off your figure in a bodycon T-shirt.
Ted Baker's round-neck version is cut to highlight your curves and contour your body – just make sure to wear a good T-shirt bra underneath!
Made from stretch-jersey, this lust-have slim fit tee subtly features the Ted Baker logo on the hem.
15. Best plain white t-shirt: & Other Stories Organic Cotton T-shirt
- Organic Cotton T-shirt, £17 from & Other Stories – buy here
If you're looking for a one-fits-all T-shirt to invest in, try shopping in & Other Stories.
This particular T-shirt is lightly structured, has a round neck and relaxed fit that feels ultra-comfortable.
Tuck yours into jeans on the weekend, a midi skirt at work or wear it with your favourite pyjama bottoms in bed.
16. Best white long sleeve t-shirt: Uniqlo's Airism Scoop Neck Long Sleeved T-shirt
- Airism Scoop Neck Long Sleeved T-shirt, £12.90 from Uniqlo – buy here
Ideal for layering or teaming with jeans, long-sleeved white t-shirts are a winter wardrobe staple.
And shoppers love the flattering fit and quality feel of this Airism t-shirt.
Comfortable, practical and stylish: what more could you want?
17. Best sustainable white t-shirt: People Tree's Gaia Tee in White
- Gaia Tee in White, £26 from People Tree – buy here
If you're looking to buy more consciously, People Tree is a pioneer in sustainable Fair Trade fashion and was the first fashion company to be awarded the World Fair Trade Organisation product label.
This organic cotton tee comes in a cool and casual slub finish and is PETA-approved, vegan-friendly and a fantastic sustainable staple for any wardrobe.
18. Best maternity white t-shirt: GAP's Maternity Pure Body Crewneck T-Shirt
- Maternity Pure Body Crewneck T-Shirt, from £8.97 from GAP – buy here
Most maternity tops are cut in an oversized shape which can really swamp your figure.
This GAP t-shirt is made from a super-stretchy cotton-jersey to maintain the sleekest silhouette.
Not only is it a great price, but it features shirred details along the sides to allow more room for your bump. Cute!
19. Best boxy white t-shirt: & Other Stories' Organic Cotton Tee
- Boxy Organic Cotton Tee, £17 from & Other Stories – buy now
A boxy T-shirt is the most fashion-forward basic you can buy.
We love & Other Stories's version, which is loose rather than clingy to create a cool, masculine look.
It has wide-cut sleeves and a crew neck to balance the volume – simply tuck it in to smarten things up.
20. Best oversized white t-shirt: Missguided's White Drop Shoulder Oversized T-Shirt
- White Drop Shoulder Oversized T-Shirt, £11.20 (was £14) from Missguided – buy now
For a laid-back, borrowed-from-the-boys feel you need to go oversized.
This Missguided T-shirt has a roomy silhouette, longer length and dropped shoulders.
Create cool, post-gym Kardashian vibe by pairing yours with cycling shorts.
21. Best V-neck: ASOS Design's Relaxed V-Neck T-shirt In White
- Luana Cotton-jersey V-neck T-shirt, £35 from Reiss – buy now
Whether you wear it with leggings, jeans or tucked into a skirt, a V-neck T-shirt is a wardrobe heroine for casual days out.
Reiss's version is made from a soft cotton jersey that feels super-comfortable on skin.
Team it with denim for a classic off-duty look.
22. Best white t-shirt for curves: Simply Be's White Utility T-Shirt
- White Utility T Shirt, £10 from Simply Be – buy now
We've shopped around to find the perfect plus size T-shirt and this is it.
Why, you ask? Well, it truly looks amazing on curves, highlighting your neckline with the V-neck and skimming over arms, while framing your bust.
It's longline enough to tuck into trousers or wear loose over your favourite denims.
How do you wear an oversized shirt?
Go for an edgy look by wearing an oversized white shirt over a pair of high-rise jeans.
Don't be afraid to rock that relaxed style with a pair of cute black boots.
Accessorize your outfit by throwing on your favourite scarf or necklace.
How do I keep my white shirts white?
Make sure you wash them every one or two wears and always wash white clothes separately.
Use the hottest water you can and don't overload your washing machine.
What colour bra should I wear with a white t-shirt?
A bright white bra will still contrast with the colour of your skin and stand out under your shirt.
As such, nude is a best bet.
A neutral bra that matches your skin tone will essentially disappear.
And of course, the closer to your complexion, the better.
Enjoyed our roundup of the best white t-shirts for women? Then you might also like our roundup of the best high street jeans.
Looking for more fashion inspiration? Take a look at our dedicated Sun Selects Fashion section.
We're here to help you to find the best bargain, so check out Sun Selects for more stories like this.
Source: Read Full Article