Meghan Markle said in text messages to her former royal aide that Prince Harry faced "constant berating" from the Royal Family about her dad Thomas Markle.
The Duchess of Sussex's messages were released in court on Friday 12 November, as part of the appeal against a High Court judge's decision to grant Meghan, 40, a summary judgement in her lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), which publishes The Mail On Sunday and MailOnline.
Meghan sued the publisher over five articles that reproduced parts of a "personal and private" letter she had written to her dad Thomas Markle, 77.
In the appeal hearing against the summary judgement, ANL's lawyers said they wanted to rely on evidence from Jason Knauf, the former communications secretary to Meghan and her husband Prince Harry.
After extracts of texts between Meghan and Mr Knuaf were read in court earlier this week, more messages were made public following an application by the PA news agency and The Times.
The newly-released messages show Meghan, who recently apologised in court for forgetting she gave permission for Mr Knauf to brief the Finding Freedom authors on the book, criticising the Royal Family for "constantly berating" her husband Harry, 37.
She wrote: "The catalyst for my doing this is seeing how much pain this is causing H.
"Even after a week with his dad and endlessly explaining the situation, his family seem to forget the context – and revert to 'can't she just go and see him and make this stop?'
"They fundamentally don't understand so at least by writing H will be able to say to his family 'she wrote him a letter and he's still doing it'.
"By taking this form of action I protect my husband from this constant berating and while unlikely perhaps it will give my father a moment to pause."
Meghan previously told the Court of Appeal that the purpose of her writing the letter was "was to encourage my father to stop talking to the press" after the "media onslaught" surrounding her father Thomas.
She added in her evidence: "It was only when my father began criticizing the royal family…that senior members of the family and their advisers expressed their concern over the public attacks, and expressed their desire to have them stopped."
Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!
Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…
Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!
Sign up here
It comes after Mr Knauf said Meghan wrote the letter to her father "with the understanding that it could be leaked" during the court appeal earlier this week.
He said: "When the Duchess was considering how to handle Mr Markle's increasing public interventions – both for concerns about his welfare and also to protect her reputation – she explored options for written communication that might convince him to stop giving interviews, but that could also set the record straight if he gave them to the media."
Mr Knauf went on to talk about Meghan's actions regarding her father Thomas as he said: "The Duchess said she was writing the letter in part to allow the Duke to demonstrate to his family that some action was being taken by the couple to stop Mr Markle from continuing to engage with the media. She added that '…while unlikely perhaps it will also give my father a moment to pause’.
"She asked me to review the text of the letter, saying 'obviously everything I have drafted is with the understanding that it could be leaked so I have been meticulous in my word choice but please do let me know if anything stands out for you as a liability'."
Stay up to date with all the latest on Meghan Markle by signing up to OK!'s daily celebrity newsletter.
Source: Read Full Article