TV chef James Martin said his experience with cancer came about during the “most difficult time of [his] life”, which followed a family bereavement and a burglary.
The ITV star, 51, opened up about his cancer diagnosis and revealed he had to have surgery. The frequent This Morning chef said the cancer on his face has "returned on several occasions", leading him to have "regular treatments".
James' revelation comes after he was accused of 'bullying’ after concerns were raised over his behaviour while making James Martin's Spanish Adventure in 2018. He was accused of 'berating colleagues to the point of tears' and 'changing shooting schedules at the last second', meaning crew members were expected to clock in with just a few hours sleep under their belt.
Following this, James made his cancer revelation to The Sun, where he said the time he ranted to the production crew was "one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life".
He told The Sun: "I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn't do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming. Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments."
The chef said he "sincerely apologised" to the crew at the time of the rant in 2018. He said: "I have always strived to keep my private life private. However since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.
"The end of 2017 was one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life. I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments I could not attend his funeral.
"Later that month I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working. I was devastated that she had to go through that alone."
In response to the controversy, James and his Blue Marlin Television production company penned a joint statement, which read: "An unfortunate incident occurred after filming James Martin's Saturday Morning in 2018 where James' home was badly damaged. Blue Marlin Television accepted responsibility.
"James was shocked by what had happened and on reflection acknowledges he responded emotionally, which he wholly regrets. James apologises for any offence or upset caused, as he did at the time to the crew involved.
"Following this and some issues filming James Martin's Spanish Adventures, James and Blue Marlin Television agree that lessons have been learned which have been discussed with members of the team and with ITV," it continued.
"Blue Marlin Television and James Martin have taken on board ITV's recommendations and their sharing of best practice, and are in the process of fully implementing.
"Since the 2018 incident, Blue Marlin Television has continued to film over 500 shows at James’ home. Blue Marlin Television remains committed to ensuring the welfare of all those with whom they work is of the utmost priority."
The chef boasts an impressive career in the spotlight, having worked on a number of television shows. He presented the BBC food show Saturday Kitchen from 2006 until 2016, before making the move to ITV where he’s hosted Saturday Morning with James Martin since 2017.
James has also ventured abroad for a string of travel-related food escapades, with James Martin's French Adventure and James Martin's American Adventure.
Source: Read Full Article