Jussie Smollett staged a fake race hate attack because he wasn’t happy with the salary he was raking in on Empire, so says the Chicago police superintendent.
New details came to light on Thursday, Feb. 21, when Chicago Police Department Superintendent Eddie Johnson held a press conference to discuss Smollett’s felony.
“The stunt was orchestrated by Smollett because he was dissatisfied with his salary, so he concocted a story about being attacked,” Johnson said.
PHOTOS: 30 Cold Blooded Murderers Who Were Women
“Now our city has problems, we know that, we have problems that have affected people from all walks of life and we know that,” Johnson continued. “But to put the national spotlight on Chicago for something that is both adrageous and untrue is simply shameful.”
The Chicago police official also revealed that Smollett allegedly paid the brothers $3,500 to stage the attack. In doing so, Johnson said Smollett dragged “Chicago’s reputation through the mud.”
As of Thursday morning, Smollett was placed under arrest and in custody of Chicago detectives. He is charged with a felony of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report. The maximum prison sentence for the crime is three years.
PHOTOS: Paris Hilton Mug Shots
The city’s police department investigated the Jan. 29 incident for weeks. The brothers – who worked on the set of Empire – were initially arrested earlier this month and released from police custody.
As Radar readers know, Smollett claimed the two men battered him while shouting racist and homophobic slurs. He also accused the brothers of placing a noose around his neck and pouring a chemical substance on him.
According to the Huffington Post, the star allegedly made $65,000 per episode on the hit show.
PHOTOS: The 10 Most Sensational Celebrity Murder Cases
On Feb. 20, just one day prior to his arrest, the Fox television network released a statement in support of the actor. The network claimed Smollett has been a “consummate professional” on set, and confirmed he would not be written off the show.
However, the network now seems to be rethinking its decision based on a new statement they released on Thursday after the press conference.
“We understand the seriousness of this matter and we respect the legal process. We are evaluating the situation and we are considering our options,” Fox said.
PHOTOS: The ‘Real Housewives’ Hall Of Shame — 18 Bravolebrities Who Said Cheese For Their MugShots!
Radar obtained a mugshot of the star, taken on Feb. 21, where he appears emotionless.
Time will tell whether or not Smollett is ultimately axed from Empire.
What do you think of Smollett’s alleged motivation for the crime? Sound off in the comments.
We pay for juicy info! Do you have a story for RadarOnline.com? Email us at [email protected], or call us at (866) ON-RADAR (667-2327) any time, day or night.
Source: Read Full Article